Saturday, October 06, 2007

Favorite Fall Recipe

If you know me, I've already sent you this at some point, and you know I make it far too often (I love it!). For the newcomers in my life:


Sweet Potato Bisque

4 Tbs. butter
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
½ tsp. curry powder
2 pounds red fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
5 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
2 cups crème fraîche
Fine sea salt and white pepper to taste
4 Tbs crystallized ginger for garnish

In a large stock pot, melt butter, sauté onions, carrots, and curry powder until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and one cup of stock, reduce heat to low, cover with parchment or lid and “sweat” (fancy term for cook) for 15 minutes.
Add remaining stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add and whisk in fresh grated ginger, crème fraîche (or serve on side to dollop on top), remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and puree using an immersion blender, food mill or food processor. Garnish with crystallized ginger.


Serve with a fresh green salad and baguette or as a starter to a heartier meal.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

yummy. if it ever feels like soup weather here, i'm gonna make it. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks - I wrote this down and plan to make it soon. I MUCH prefer using other people's recipes over picking up a cookbook and choosing something random. I want the recipe for the other potato soup I tried at your house the other day - so good!

O Ye That Embark in the service of God - Holden to Peru Trujillo South Mission 9/11/19

Holden has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Peru Trujillo South mission.  He spe...