Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm Just Thinking - Strength of Women

I've been thinking about this a lot, since reading it yesterday in Talmage's Jesus the Christ. This is occuring as Jesus and Simon the Cyrenian, bearing the cross of Jesus, walk to Calvary.

Among those who followed or stood and watched the death-procession pass, were some, women particularly, who bewailed and lamented the fate to which Jesus was going. We read of no man who ventured to raise his voice in protest or pity; but on this dreadful occasion as at other times, women were not afraid to cry out in commiseration or praise. (p. 653)

I mean it's not church doctrine, but as close as Deseret Book can get. Talmage being commissioned by the brethren and given his own room in the SL Temple to write this amazing book, and all. I think how sometimes it is difficult for men to express their feelings because they are judged so harshly by the world. And this is not just today, but 2,000 years ago too. We, women, are pretty much given a free pass in the feelings department. We can lay it all out. I get near the "committed" fine line all of the time, with Andy as an innocent bystanding witness can attest, and I am pretty "normal" as far as female mood swings go. Not just emoting wildly like the typical "poor me", etc., but also speaking out emotionally too. Maybe that's why women tend to "fight" more than men, and have issues with each other. Good and bad, we aren't afraid to let someone know how we feel we've been offended, or generally what we think about things or each other. I love that we can harness this and accomplish awesome things (as President Hinckley, President Monson, Presidend Faust and the RG Presidency have been telling us) as we fight for our families, beliefs, etc. Whether or not we are accepted or even listened to, I still think it's important for us to emote our true beliefs and feelings, specifically when it comes to the work of the gospel. I am sure that is why we are given this "free pass to feelings", so that we can defend our families these days. What do you think? (And don't just say, "Sister, you need AD's" unless you really think so.

Re-visit this amazing song from 'Savior of the World' here.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I really like this post because it is so true. Women are closer to their feelings and more readily get them out, for good and bad. I like the thought about harnessing them for good because that is so important. I am working on this a lot, especially not freaking out on the kids and just trying to control myself the most at home. I think that it is normally the opposite, you let yourself go at home. But I am really trying to make my home a good, peaceful place since it is only second to the temple (Bible Dictionary under Temple). Thanks for the post!!

Christie K said...

Great post. The power we women have for both good and bad. Thsnks for the thought provoking post.

MarySue said...

I love the depth of this post and your heartfelt words. I've been amazed when people have made comments to me about how repressed Mormon women are!! They don't know. I have felt the power of which you spoke, responsibilities at times beyond my abilities that have cause growth, blessings, peace and ... more power. Thanks for your thoughts. May we love and support one another on the strait and narrow path. Loves.

Brooke said...

Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking a lot lately about how women are perceived in the world. I'm not a hard core feminist, but I think we get a bum rap. (Especially in some other countries) I don't think that our strengths are as revered as men's and it drives me crazy! I believe that we are very strong and are truly blessed to be women and mothers. I think it takes something extra special to be a good mother and wife. And we have it! I think our homes and families need our emotions and our strength to show them!

Kate said...

Hello, is this Annette's blog??? Last time I checked she was not 'normal' in the mood swings depo... but I love her anyways... we women are very blessed!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts with great feeling. I'm impressed and inspired with your thoughtful words and wonderful example. Thanks for sharing, dear daughter.

Megan B said...

It is a hard task toward perfection in learning to control all of our thoughts and emotions. I know it will be MY greatest challenge. But I too believe in the great power of the Atonement in which all things for good are made possible. We as women are blessed to be the nurturers because of our strong emotional ties and spiritual beings. A blessing and a challenge. And thank goodness for good patient men who accept our emotional strengths (and weaknesses). And I am kinda with Katie...not normal. But neither am I.

Megan B said...

Oh and you do need ADs. KIDDING!

O Ye That Embark in the service of God - Holden to Peru Trujillo South Mission 9/11/19

Holden has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Peru Trujillo South mission.  He spe...