Friday, November 05, 2010

Skate Skis

Today I am looking at ultra geeky videos such as this one...
My very adventurous friends have been x-c skiing for years together, for which I have always envied as I have the only 3 year old to get to pal around with (their children are O & H's age). I have been able to mountain bike with them this fall as PJ in in pre-school and now get to make the leap into their new hobby skate skiing. Aud and I went up to Soldier Hollow to purchase them this morning. First of all, she keeps selling me and others that as we are beginners, the work out is much better when you are bad at this sport than more efficient skate skiers. I am already planning my push-ups and lunges, note the planning, not quite doing yet. So we hoof it up the mountain to Soldier Hollow and their are hundreds of people there, in the parking lot, a guy is talking about having our wristbands and getting them at 5-6am, and yes, people are camping out. So we hoof it to the end of the line, wherein a trio of Forest Service guys inform us we are too late for wristbands and to try again tomorrow. Now, I keep thinking, why do you stow half the skis away for tomorrow? And how on Earth do you have hundreds of rental x-c and skate skis to sell to all of these people? And where do these hundreds of people x-c ski anyway? Into our 5-minute conversation with this dude, he discovers we are there for the ski sale, not for the Forest Service-tag to cut your own tree down-line, when we are directed to head into the building wherein there are 3 employees and 2 other customers, phew! A few hundred dollars invested (Merry Christmas to me!) and boom, I have a new hobby. We calculated how often we needed to go in order to justify renting ($18 a time) vs. buying our own and we will plan to go 11.1 times this year! Every Wednesday is planned and it is doable. For the record, if I could get a well paying job and work M, W, F from 9:30-11:30, I'd take it, until then, I am going to continue to play (and read some days, and do chores about 1 of those days). Life is good.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You're crazy. What was everyone else waiting for?

go boo boo said...

Oh, I forgot to say...to get a Forest Service permit to cut down a Christmas tree. Don't you think that is crazy? And yes, I thought we were crazy.

O Ye That Embark in the service of God - Holden to Peru Trujillo South Mission 9/11/19

Holden has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Peru Trujillo South mission.  He spe...